National Advertising Division (NAD) Deputy Director
Based in our New York office, the National Advertising Division (NAD) Deputy Director guides the advertising industry's self-regulatory forum in conducting judicial-caliber advertising review proceedings that involve evaluating complex scientific and consumer perception evidence to ensure that advertising claims are truthful and accurate. The Deputy Director manages NAD attorneys on case handling and case management; plans NAD’s annual conference and other similar programing; engages in long-range thinking and planning; and collaborates with corporate departments on financial, marketing/communications, human resources, technology and legal matters. Must have a JD with 10+ years of experience; 5+ years managerial experience (advertising/marketing law experience in-house at a major corporation, major law firm, or relevant government agency preferred); high ethical values; excellent writing, advocacy and public speaking skills; an in-depth knowledge of advertising law; and proficiency with technical data including statistical models, product testing and sensory perception.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Senior National Advertising Division (NAD) role that manages case assignment and workload; supervises and mentors NAD attorneys.
- Strong managerial experience and a genuine interest in mentoring others.
- Conduct judicial review proceedings serving as judges in the advertising industry’s system of voluntary self-regulation, drafting opinions (well-reasoned, clearly written, fully documented with citations to other NAD decisions and other legal precedent), summarizing the evidence and legal arguments and drawing conclusions of fact and law whether advertising claims are truthful and substantiated or need to be modified or discontinued.
- Conduct ex parte meetings with the parties, questioning attorneys and outside experts in scientific and consumer perception evidence to ensure that NAD understands the arguments and supporting evidence in the case record.
- Ensure that NAD process and individual case decisions meet high standards of fairness, timeliness and effectiveness including consistency of results and consistency with legal standards; ensure all procedural questions are resolved in accordance with the NAD Policies and Procedures and that such determinations are applied consistently across individual attorney case assignments.
- Develop and maintain active liaison with state and federal government agencies engaged in advertising regulation. Work actively to promote understanding of self-regulation by these agencies.
- Takes a senior role in NAD’s annual advertising law conference and other similar programs.
- Work with other BBB National Programs’ leaders to raise the profile of NAD.
- Oversee comprehensive records system.
- Represent NAD in conferences and meetings concerning consumer protection, advertising claim substantiation and advertising self-regulation to raise profile of advertising self-regulation to new industries and issues.
- Engage in public speaking to educate advertising and marketing professionals on new and emerging issues in advertising law and to raise the visibility of the organization.
- Budget and cost center responsibility.
- JD with 10+ years of experience required
- 5+ years managerial experience
- Advertising/marketing law experience in-house at a major corporation, major law firm, or relevant government agency preferred
- Litigation experience involving technical and scientific evidence preferred
- Prior experience with NAD strongly preferred
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- Executive presence
- Business and financial acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Quick learner
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Comfortable leading and working in a fast-paced environment
- Member of the bar of a relevant jurisdiction
Apply for this position
Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
BBB National Programs is a nonprofit organization where businesses turn to enhance consumer trust, and consumers are heard. BBB National Programs is where companies, industry experts, and trade associations work together within a self-regulatory environment to address issues of national and global importance, and to foster industry best practices in truth-in-advertising, child-directed marketing, data privacy, and dispute resolution.
At BBB National Programs, we understand that cultivating a great team is critical to advancing our mission to foster trust, innovation, and competition in the marketplace. Our staff is made up of talented, diverse, and highly-motivated professionals who continually seek out new challenges and opportunities to catalyze progress. Our workplace is an inclusive and dynamic environment that supports our employees and the meaningful work that they do.
BBB National Programs is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.