This position provides legal and policy advice for BBB AUTO LINE, one of the largest and highly regarded dispute resolution programs in the United States. Administered by BBB National Programs (BBB NP), BBB AUTO LINE helps businesses and consumers resolve automotive warranty, lemon law, class action, and dealer manufacturer disputes in a timely, cost-effective manner that complies with applicable state laws and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain BBB AUTO LINE compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements and serve as BBB NP’s primary point of contact for all applicable regulatory compliance matters.
- Work with the Federal Trade Commission and state regulatory agencies to demonstrate compliance with applicable laws/regulations through periodic operational reviews and in response to requests.
- Supervise independent auditing firm in connection with annual compliance audit mandated by federal and state law.
- Supervise preparation of state certification applications as needed and serve as point person at BBB NP for application process.
- Negotiate and draft contracts related to the BBB AUTO LINE program (with approval), including collaborating with BBB NP staff to develop and maintain manufacturer-specific Program Summaries.
- Orchestrate all legal tasks related to BBB AUTO LINE: e.g., supervise outside counsel in litigation involving BBB AUTO LINE; supervise subpoena production and affidavits; and represent the organization in depositions.
- Resolve difficult customer relations issues with BBB AUTO LINE participating manufacturers and their customers (and, where applicable, manufactures’ or consumers’ counsel).
- Monitor legal developments with respect to arbitration law, warranty law and lemon laws nationwide. Maintain public-facing and internal BBB NP lemon law resources accordingly.
- Collaborate with BBB NP training teams to develop and deliver training and education to various constituencies (e.g., arbitrators, BBB NP staff, BBB staff, manufacturers, and other businesses providing nationwide DR programs).
- Provide advice and support to BBB NP management and staff on dispute resolution rules, procedures, policies, and particular cases. Promote best practices in dispute resolution.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to revise and/or develop new policies and rules as needed.
- Provide legal advice and support to other BBB NP Departments as requested, including frequent contract drafting and review.
- Perform legal research and provide assistance as needed.
- Law degree required and Bar membership
- 5-7 years of experience in litigation, dispute resolution and general corporate matters is desired
- Office 365 required
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent internal/external customer service skills
- Experience working within a professional association environment desirable
Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to hr@BBBNP.org with job title in the subject line.