BBB National Programs Online Archive
About the Online Archive
For 50 years, companies, consumer groups, and industry associations have relied on advertising self-regulation forums administered by BBB National Programs (formerly the Council of Better Business Bureaus) to provide quick and cost-effective resolution to advertising disputes. The decisions that BBB National Programs attorneys write as a result of these advertising challenges have grown into the Online Archive—an exclusive collection of legal decisions containing detailed analysis of the truth and accuracy of national advertising claims.
The Online Archive is a unique and valuable resource for law firms, national advertisers, regulators, and non-profit organizations. The database of more than 6,000 decisions contains in-depth knowledge of important advertising issues to help attorneys provide insightful guidance to clients and give marketing professionals the information they need to avoid advertising substantiation problems.
Authored by attorneys with extensive experience in advertising law and claim substantiation, decisions in the Online Archive cover topics such as:
- Implied claims
- Clear and conspicuous disclosures
- Competent and reliable scientific evidence
- Truth and accuracy
- Proper use of endorsements
The decisions also cover a broad range of product and service categories from many different industries, including:
- Beauty and cosmetics
- Drugs and health aids
- Dietary supplements
- Food and beverage
- Household products
- Leisure and entertainment
- Toys and games
- Websites and web services
- Flexible search functionality supports Boolean search operators, proximity search, and simultaneous searching across multiple databases
- Document review tools include highlighted search terms within retrieved documents
- Search filters refine results by company, product, issue or claim type, date, document type, or BBB NP Program
- Find related documents like press releases, case reports, abstracts, and compliance reports
A subscription to the Online Archive includes four licenses with unlimited access to the database of more than 6,000 advertising claim substantiation decisions from the National Advertising Division (NAD), Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU), and panel reports from the National Advertising Review Board (NARB). You can also access legacy content from the Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation Program (ERSP).