BBB National Programs Online Archive
For more than 50 years, companies, consumer groups, and industry associations have relied on the U.S. system of advertising industry self-regulation to provide quick and cost-effective resolution to national advertising disputes and to expeditiously remove misleading advertising from the marketplace. The Online Archive is an exclusive collection of those legal decisions, a database containing detailed analysis of National Advertising Division (NAD), National Advertising Review Board (NARB), and Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) cases.
The Online Archive is a unique and valuable resource, providing in-depth knowledge of important advertising issues to help attorneys provide insightful guidance to clients and give marketing professionals the information they need to avoid advertising substantiation problems.
A subscription to the Online Archive includes four licenses with unlimited access to the database of more than 6,000 advertising claim substantiation decisions. Government agencies, academics, and non-profits can access the Online Archive without charge by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Members of the press can request the full text of any decision by emailing email@example.com.
Authored by attorneys with extensive experience in advertising law and claim substantiation, decisions in the Online Archive cover topics such as:
- Implied claims
- Clear and conspicuous disclosures
- Competent and reliable scientific evidence
- Truth and accuracy
- Proper use of endorsements
The decisions also cover a broad range of product and service categories from many different industries, including:
- Beauty and cosmetics
- Drugs and health aids
- Dietary supplements
- Food and beverage
- Household products
- Leisure and entertainment
- Toys and games
- Websites and web services
- Flexible search functionality supports Boolean search operators, proximity search, and simultaneous searching across multiple databases
- Document review tools include highlighted search terms within retrieved documents
- Search filters refine results by company, product, issue or claim type, date, document type, or BBB NP Program
- Find related documents like press releases, case reports, abstracts, and compliance reports
Summaries of all case decisions are available in the Case Decision Summaries library. Access to Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council and Digital Advertising Accountability Program decisions does not require a subscription to the Online Archive.