BBB National Programs Archive
Adrenal Fatigue Institute Participates In ERSP Forum
New York, NY – June 24, 2009 – The Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation Program (ERSP) has determined that the Adrenal Fatigue Institute has provided a reasonable basis for several performance claims related to adrenal functioning, metabolism, and fatigue for the Cylapril Dietary Supplement, but recommended discontinuing claims related to weight loss. The marketer’s advertising came to ERSP’s attention pursuant to ERSP’s routine monitoring efforts.
ERSP, the electronic direct-response industry’s self-regulatory forum, is administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus (CBBB) with policy oversight by the National Advertising Review Council (NARC).
ERSP’s inquiry focused on claims included in online advertising. Claims at issue in the ERSP inquiry included:
- “The ONLY product of its kind to combat Adrenal Fatigue Burnout, period”
- “Increase weight loss, energy & mood faster!”
- “It’s a unique formulation of ingredients that will revitalize your adrenal system and restore it to optimal effectiveness so you can finally lose weight.”
- “Cleanse your adrenal system, shed the weight”
- “Cylapril™ has been formulated to offer needed support to the over-taxed adrenal gland and help take the workload off the adrenal system so it can repair itself naturally.”
- “The Cylapril™ Anti Stress & Energy Revitalizer is the second stage of the Cylapril™ Adrenal Cleansing System. This formula helps to reduce the amount of stress that you experience and it reduces its impact on your Adrenal system. Along with the Bee Pollen, a potent antioxidant, the Anti Stress & Energy Revitalizer provides aid in reducing anxiety, increasing mental performance, and reducing fatigue.
During the course of the inquiry, the marketer advised ERSP that it had voluntarily discontinued claims that Cylapril is “The ONLY product of its kind to combat Adrenal Fatigue Burnout…” and, that by using its products, consumers would “Increase weight loss, energy & mood faster!” It also voluntarily discontinued testimonials claiming any specific amount of weight loss.
ERSP agreed that the Adrenal Fatigue Institute provided adequate support for the claims that Cylapril enhances adrenal functioning, boosts metabolism and inhibits fatigue. However, ERSP also concluded that the evidence submitted by the marketer was insufficient to support the claim that “Cylapril induces weight loss.” Accordingly,
ERSP recommended that the marketer discontinue claims that use of Cylapril will result in meaningful weight loss for consumers.
The company, in its advertiser’s statement said “…AFI certainly respects ERSP’s authority and views and therefore will give serious consideration to its recommendations.”