BBB National Programs Archive
ERSP Refers Advertising For “Sauna Twin Multi-Lipo Reducer” To FTC
New York, NY – Oct. 27, 2009 – The Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation Program (ERSP), has referred direct-response advertising from Siglas, Inc., marketer of the Sauna Twin Multi-Lipo Reductor, to the Federal Trade Commission for further review, after the marketer declined to participate in an ERSP inquiry. The truth and accuracy of the marketer’s claims came to the attention of ERSP through its ongoing monitoring program.
ERSP, the electronic direct-response industry’s self-regulatory forum, is administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus (CBBB) with policy oversight by the National Advertising Review Council (NARC).
Claims at issue in the initial inquiry included:
• “2 sizes in 2 weeks without strenuous exercises or diets”
• “Specially designed to eliminate excess weight in the waist, hips, arms and thighs.”
• “Quickly eliminates excess weight from localized areas.”
• “Does not require strict diets and exhausting exercises.”
• “Helps eliminate cellulite.”
• “Sauna Twin for thighs, abdomen, little rolls, cellulite and all those extra pounds.”
• “Abdomen, waist, thighs, backs, hip…the precise heat. Results are guaranteed!”
ERSP contacted the marketer several times to request substantiation for core claims made in its advertising and the marketer failed to file a substantive written response. Pursuant to ERSP Policies and Procedures, the advertising at issue has been referred to the FTC for further review.