BBB National Programs Archive
Hindsight Nutritionals Participates In ERSP Forum
New York, NY – April 6, 2011 – The Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation Program (ERSP) has determined that Hindsight Nutritionals, marketer of the Evercleanse System, provided adequate support for general weight loss and establishment claims, but recommended the marketer modify certain claims.
ERSP, the electronic direct-response industry’s self-regulatory forum, is administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus (CBBB) with policy oversight by the National Advertising Review Council (NARC).
The marketer’s advertising came to the attention of ERSP pursuant to its ongoing monitoring program.
(Full text of decision available to media, upon request)
ERSP reviewed broadcast, online, and radio advertising for Evercleanse, and identified several claims for review, including:
- “Lose the waste. Lose the weight”
- “How hard is it to lose 10 to 30 pounds or more?”
- “…but there is a safe, fast, and effective way to lose weight and keep it off, even if you’ve had trouble losing weight in the past.”
- “200% more weight loss!”
- “Evercleanse is a trusted brand that’s been around for years, backed by scientific studies and serious clinical trials”
- “Scientifically developed and clinically proven means you can cleanse, detoxify, burn away fat and lose up to 200% more weight than diet and exercise alone.”
- “scientifically proven to lose 200% more weight”
- “In addition, the cleansing and detoxification program, is designed to work with Evercleanse Slim a weight loss component powere by 7-Keto, the only natural dietary supplement for weight loss, whose efficacy and safety is supported by published scientific research.”
- “Evercleanse Slim contains a patented ingredient known as 7- Keto. This powerful, stimulant-free weight loss formula is backed by published clinical studies which show : When combined with a healthy diet and exercise program, a 200% greater weight loss than diet and exercise alone; 7-Keto is clinically proven to help reduce body fat and body weight.”
- “The results have been astonishing, I have lost 18 pounds, my appetite has lessened and I am more regular than ever before, thanks EverCleanse” [Lori, CA]
- “EverCleanse is a great product! I lost weight and have never felt better.” [Janice, FL]
- “If this weight loss keeps up, I am going to be able to fit into my wedding dress from 20 years ago” [Claire, CA]
At the outset of ERSP’s inquiry, Hindsight Nutritionals asserted that it is no longer advertising on television and radio and it is in the process of reviewing its remaining advertising for Evercleanse products. Hindsight Nutritionals informed ERSP that it has removed one of the consumer testimonials that included quantified weight loss claims.
As support for the general weight loss and establishment claims at issue, Hindsight Nutritionals referenced previous ERSP reviews of products containing 7-Keto DHEA, the main ingredient in Evercleanse Slim, and provided the same clinical studies as evidence. Since Evercleanse Slim contains an identical amount of 7-Keto DHEA as used in the studies, ERSP saw no reason to deviate from its earlier decisions, and found the evidence to provide adequate support for the general performance claims.
ERSP determined that it is important for consumers to be provided with a qualified context for advertising claims. Specifically, ERSP recommended that Hindsight Nutritionals modify claims to include a basis of comparison (e.g., “lose up to 200% more weight than diet and exercise alone”).
Additionally, ERSP noted that Hindsight Nutritionals should clearly distinguish its Evercleanse Slim product, the subject of the clinical studies submitted, from its Evercleanse cleansing and replenishing products in an effort to help consumers understand that the “clinically proven” claims reference Evercleanse Slim alone.
The company, in its marketer’s statement, said, “Hindsight Nutritionals supports the work of the NARC and specifically the Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation Program and their efforts to ensure integrity in the direct response industry. Hindsight feels the inquiries made as part of this review were good and helpful in providing additional insight into the perception of our advertising. Going forward we will endeavor to separate any references to clinically or scientifically proven from our colon cleansing products and our weight loss product.”