BBB National Programs Archive
NAD Refers Advertising Claims for Trimball-EXP200 To FDA, FTC
New York, New York – Dec. 14, 2009 – The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus has referred advertising published by Hollywood Health and Beauty Ltd. for its Trimball-EXP200 dietary supplement to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for further review.
NAD, the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum, examined print and Internet advertising claims for Trimball-EXP200, following a challenge by the Council for Responsible Nutrition.
Claims at issue included:
- “This all-natural ‘gastric balloon’ which triggers automatic weight loss is a big hit in Japan…”
- “In a few minutes, this amazing capsule expands to become a 100% natural gastric balloon.”
- “…it attracts, surrounds and absorbs some of the fat, carbohydrates and sugars that you’ve eaten and they are naturally flushed out without having a chance to be absorbed by your body and converted to excess fat.”
- “This weight loss plan is 100% safe.”
- “The effects were immediate. I ate everything I liked and as much as I liked.”
- “The first month, I lost exactly 33 pounds without any effort. The most incredible thing was that my stomach quickly became flat and firm.”
- “I could eat all the foods I like and as much as I wanted.”
- “I lost a total of 48 pounds in 7 weeks.”
- “When you use the Trimball-EXP200 capsule, you are going to eat 2, 3 or even up to 4 times less, as you feel that your stomach is FULL. You will not experience any feelings of hunger. You will then automatically lose weight.”
- “These two properties have been confirmed by many clinical studies conducted in the USA by leading dietary researcher, Professor Walsh from the University of Minnesota.”
- “With no dietary changes, the average weight loss for women is 37.5 pounds and for men 42.5 pounds. The least amount of weight loss for anyone tested is 33 pounds.”
- “…they all lost weight quickly with losses of up to 38 pounds in only 30 days.”
- “…the TrimBall-EXP200 capsules contain a natural dietary fiber which is 100% natural and has no side-effects.”
- “It is the highest concentration of this active ingredient recommended by medical doctors for a 100% safe usage of these capsules.”
- Implied Claim: TrimBall-EXP200 is prescribed by medical doctors.
NAD noted in its decision that it attempted to contact the advertiser at address and phone number provided for the company at the TrimBall-EXP200 Website. NAD further noted that it was disappointed the advertiser did not respond to NAD’s inquiry, particularly in light of strong health and weight loss claims being made.
Based on the advertiser’s failure to respond, NAD will refer this matter to the FDA and FTC for further review.