BBB National Programs Archive
NAD Refers Health Claims made for Adderin Supplement to FTC for Review after Advertiser KNH Online Fails to Provide Substantiation
New York, NY – March 30, 2017 – The National Advertising Division has referred advertising claims made by KNH Online, Inc., for its Adderin Dietary Supplement to the Federal Trade Commission after the company failed to respond to a request for substantiation.
NAD is an investigative unit of the advertising industry’s system of self-regulation. It is administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
The claim at issue in this case were challenged by the Council for Responsible Nutrition. CRN files challenges with NAD regarding advertising of dietary supplements, in an effort to encourage manufacturers to provide substantiation for their advertising claims to an objective, third-party for review and evaluation and to assure that claims being promoted to consumers are truthful, not misleading and are substantiated with credible scientific evidence.
Here, CRN requested that NAD examine the advertiser’s claims for Adderin supplements to determine if it possessed adequate evidence to support health-related claims that included:
- “After 7 years Harvard Scientists Finally Break New Ground & Usher In The Future Of Brain Science With Invention Of New Smart Drug That Increases IQ, Memory And Focus Up To %100”
- “One test subject was quoted as saying: ‘As soon as I took it started working within minutes of taking it. All of a sudden, it felt like a dark cloud had been lifted up from in front of me. I was more alert, more focused, had long lasting energy, and experienced a mental clarity that I’d never felt before’ – Ben Lishger Harvard Sophomore.3 o’clock crash are over as soon as you take the Max Synapse experience! You will remain energized and focused until the moment you close your eyes for bed.”
- “…It’s one of a kind formula was engineered to ensure your brain gets all of the ingredients and vitamins it needs in the exact dosage it needs it to improve all areas of cognitive growth, including focus, energy, short and long-term memory, problem-solving capabilities and much more.”
- “Forbes broke the news first and uncovered that Adderin raises levels of focus and performance every day by 300%.”
- “Adderin has been clinically proven to:
- Sky-rocket Concentration by 312%
- Improve Creative Thinking
- Boost Energy
- Enhance Memory Recall
- Increase IQ Scores by 77%”
- “#1 Rated All Natural Smart Pill”
- “Increase short term memory”
- “Drastically increase long term memory”
- “Improves your energy levels”
- “Increased concentration”
- “Continually increased brain performance”
The advertiser failed to file a substantive written response or provide any evidence to substantiate the challenged claims. After repeated attempts to engage the advertiser in the self-regulatory process, NAD has referred the matter to the Federal Trade Commission for further review.
Note: A recommendation by NAD to modify or discontinue a claim is not a finding of wrongdoing and an advertiser’s voluntary discontinuance or modification of claims should not be construed as an admission of impropriety. It is the policy of NAD not to endorse any company, product, or service. Decisions finding that advertising claims have been substantiated should not be construed as endorsements.