BBB National Programs Archive
Primal Nutrition Participates In NAD Forum
New York, NY – June 21, 2007 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus has determined that Primal Nutrition, Inc. can support certain advertising claims for “Damage Control Master Formula,” but recommended the company modify claims that the product is the “most powerful” antioxidant on the market.
NAD, the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum, examined print and Website advertising for the product as part of NAD’s ongoing monitoring program. NAD has expanded its review of dietary supplements, pursuant to a series of grants from the Council for Responsible Nutrition.
Claims at issue included:
- “The Master Formula is the Best Anti-Aging Supplement in the World”
- “Lab-Tested World #1 Antioxidant Value”
- “To help combat the onslaught of oxidative damage throughout your body, you need the most powerful, natural synergistic broad spectrum antioxidant blend you can find. The Damage Control Master Formula is your answer”
- “…the Master Formula was designed to fight oxidative damage in the mitochondria and throughout the rest of your body by providing balanced, scientific doses of 51 vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and botanical extracts to create an unparalleled comprehensive all-in-one nutrition supplement.”
- “It even has specific nutrients to support normally healthy blood sugar, healthy heart, liver, circulation, cognition, immune system, vision and joints.”
- “Nothing else comes close.”
The advertiser, at the outset, said the product in question is a high-potency multi-vitamin, with a full spectrum antioxidant, multivitamin, mineral, and nutrient profile. The advertiser maintained that independent testing proves that Master Formula has the highest ORAC value (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) of all like products on the market. The advertiser explained that ORAC is the industry standard for measuring antioxidant capacity of foods and dietary supplements.
Following its review of the evidence, NAD determined that the advertiser could support the claim that product contains ingredients that support healthy blood sugar, a healthy heart, liver and immune system, circulation, cognition, vision and joints.
However, NAD noted in its decision that a competing product on the market has achieved a higher ORAC score. NAD recommended that all of the advertiser’s claims that Master Formula is the “most powerful,” “strongest,” and “unparalleled” antioxidant formula, and that Master Formula “scored the highest known per gram ORAC value of any vitamin supplement,” and that “nothing else comes close,” be discontinued.
NAD recommended further that the claim “Lab-Tested World #1 Antioxidant Value,” be modified to more clearly convey that Master Formula offers the highest ORAC per dollar of the available broad spectrum antioxidants.
The company, in its advertiser’s statement, said it “agrees with NAD’s analysis and decision and, furthermore, thanks NAD for its assistance in helping to refine some of the Master Formula’s key claims for future advertising.”