BBB National Programs Archive
Proactive Life Discontinues Advertising Claims for ‘Diabetes Support’ Product Following Initial NAD Inquiry
New York, NY – Jan. 9, 2013 – Proactive Life, LLC., has agreed to permanently discontinue a wide range of advertising claims for its “Diabetes Support” dietary supplement, including claims that the product lowers the risk of stroke.
The claims at issue were challenged before the National Advertising Division by the Council for Responsible Nutrition. The challenged claims included:
• “Increases Energy Production”
• “Reduce Chromic Inflammation”
• “Improve Utilization of Glucose and Insulin”
• “Lower Bad Cholesterol (LDL)
• “Increase Good Cholesterol (HDL)”
• “Lower Stroke Risk by up to 29%”
• “Turmeric lowers insulin levels by 20%”
• “Omega-3 can lower the chances of developing Type 2 diabetes and heart disease”
• “Diabetes Support Supplements contains 2000 mg of Omega-3. EPA-800mg. DHA 4000 mg per serving. More than any other dietary supplement.”
• “Diabetes Support is the first product to help maintain healthy blood glucose levels, reduce chronic inflammation and provide cardiovascular health.”
• “Diabetes Support Supplements is the first and only product to contain 1000mg of pure coca powder giving you the protective benefits of cocoa without the fats and sugars.”
Upon receipt of NAD’s opening letter, the advertiser advised NAD that it would permanently discontinue all of the challenged claims.
NAD noted in its decision that it appreciated the advertiser’s participation in the self-regulatory process, as well as the advertiser’s assurance that it would permanently discontinue the challenged claims, action that NAD determined to be necessary and appropriate given the lack of any supporting evidence in the record.
The company, in its advertiser’s statement, said that while it “stands behind its advertising claims, in the spirit of cooperation with advertising self-regulation, we agree to take NAD’s recommendations into account in future advertising.”