BBB National Programs Archive
‘Shoes for Crews’ Discontinues ‘Slip-Resistant’ Claims following NAD Inquiry; Claims Challenged by Skechers
New York, NY – Sept. 14, 2016 – Shoes for Crews, LLC, said the company has voluntarily and permanently discontinued “slip-resistant” claims challenged before the National Advertising Division (NAD) by shoe company Skechers.
NAD is an investigative unit of the advertising industry’s system of self-regulation. It is administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
Challenged claims included:
- “Independent Slip Resistance Test Results” Chart
- “Independent lab tests show our unique compound provides more slip resistance than any shoe on the market.”
- “The Most Effective Slip-Resistant Outsoles”
- “The Sole That Changed the Industry … Shoes For Crews began producing slip-resistant footwear in 1984 and through superior technology quickly became the industry leader.”
- “Shoes For Crews slip-resistant footwear has been tested and proven to be the best defense against slips and falls in hazardous, slippery workplaces.”
- “The GRIPPING Blog … Tips and Kicks from the Global Slip-Resistance Leader.”
- “… we make it easy for you to have all your employees wearing the industry’s #1 rated slip-resistant footwear.”
During the course of NAD’s inquiry, the advertiser advised in writing that, for reasons unrelated to the challenge, it voluntarily elected to permanently discontinue all of the challenged claims. In reliance on that representation, NAD did not review the claims on their merits. However, the voluntarily discontinued claims will be treated, for compliance purposes, as though NAD recommended their discontinuance and the advertiser agreed to comply.
The company, in its advertiser’s statement, said that Shoes for Crews “as a strong supporter of self-regulation – appreciates NAD’s time and attention to this matter.”