Press Relations Officer
The primary purpose of this position is to grow and enhance the BBB National Programs’ (BBB NP) presence with influential media, particularly those media covering children’s advertising, advertising self-regulation, and privacy issues and policies. The Officer will promote BBB NP’s work and brands in the media; secure coverage of our initiatives and build relationships with journalists; quickly and efficiently produce press releases, editorial briefings, fact sheets, and other materials.
The Officer will be a credible and reliable source of information for journalists and act as an intermediary between BBB NP and the media. At times, s/he will act as a spokesperson for BBB NP. The position will be responsible for preparing BBB NP and its programs’ staffs for media interviews, tracking media coverage and analyzing that coverage to generate future opportunities. Effective performance will safeguard BBB NP’s reputation and enhance the organization's brand.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Quickly and efficiently produce press releases, editorial briefings, fact sheets, and other materials aimed at informing the media of specific actions resulting from the adjudication of challenges and/or complaints filed with BBB NP’s programs.
- Develop and maintain a media contact list and detailed diary of media interactions.
- Provide timely assistance to journalists and ensure BBB NP’s availability for interviews and articles.
- Organize press conferences and other media events.
- Prepare press kits and other supporting materials for journalists, including case studies, fact sheets and briefing notes.
- Frequent interaction with media on all platforms – e.g., print, online, bloggers, etc. – to develop an understanding of their needs and provide information and/or materials to enhance their understanding of BBB NP, its programs, and subject matter experts.
- Develop narratives, messaging platforms, and talking points that increase positive visibility for BBB NP and its self-regulation programs, specifically those programs dealing with the advertising sector and privacy.
- Work closely with leadership of BBB NP programs particularly the National Advertising Division (NAD), the Children’s Advertising Review Council (CARU), the Digital Advertising Accountability Program (Accountability Program), and the Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) among others to develop and oversee media relations contact lists and communication channels that reflect the needs of those programs.
- Develop an outreach program to introduce BBB NP programs and the enterprise, as well as subject matter experts and management, to media at all levels and to maintain an ongoing presence with those media.
- Plan and produce content related to BBB NP programs for internal and external channels.
- Assume primary responsibility for media monitoring and distribution tools, such as Cision, and ensure that appropriate BBB NP MarCom staff are trained on uses and functions.
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar of timely narratives that promote the work of BBB NP programs.
- Negotiate terms of BBB NP program press releases with interested third parties.
- Interview subject matter experts and write articles, blogs, and self-regulatory information for all appropriate distribution channels.
- Work closely with subject matter experts to ensure content accuracy and consistency of messaging across BBB NP programs and communications channels.
- Develop, maintain, and adjust as necessary a media relations plan to generate consistent, positive visibility and address issues that may impact the organization's marketplace profile or its credibility.
- Determine key messages and select/direct appropriate spokespeople to both generate and respond to inquiries and interview requests from news media across all communications platforms. Should be comfortable pitching new program ideas and releases to members of the media.
- Collect and disseminate media coverage of emerging issues, including but not limited to cases and articles on advertising law issues, privacy, and dispute resolution, identifying trends in coverage and media interest.
- Work collaboratively with the Social Media Manager to maintain current social media platforms and content and explore outreach and expansion opportunities for BBB NP messaging.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Exercise sound judgment in communications with internal and external parties.
- Experience interacting with the media required. Current list of media contacts helpful, but not required.
- Strong writing skills required with special emphasis on the ability to understand and communicate legal matters.
- Strong experience drafting press releases; experience drafting releases relating to legal matters a plus.
- Understand the relationship of self-regulation to its advertising and privacy industry partners, the needs of each program, and the BBB NP leadership.
- Quickly assess internal and external communications needs and issues, recognize the role of communications in solving problems, and meet deadlines.
- Respond to internal and external stakeholder communications issues and concerns, and balance competing interests while exercising good judgement and strong interpersonal skills.
- Gain and maintain the confidence and trust of key constituencies (internal and external).
- Track, manage, and quickly retrieve information. Superlative research skills required.
- Working collaboratively with members of the BBB NP MarCom team, track metrics for web traffic, social media amplification, and media placements for the BBB NP’s outputs.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in public relations, journalism or communications required.
- 5+ years’ experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be detail-oriented and deadline-focused with strong interpersonal communication and organizational skills, and have the ability to coordinate, prioritize, and accomplish multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills; experience planning and implementing media relations plans; prior media relations experience (including interviews with print media and on-air broadcast appearances); crisis communications and internal communications skills, preferably working for a non-profit or an association.
Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to hr@BBBNP.org with job title in the subject line.