Digital Advertising Compliance Specialist
The Digital Advertising Compliance Specialist assists in monitoring websites and mobile applications to ensure that all advertising companies are complying with the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles. Where violations are found, the Specialist assembles all relevant evidence and submits it to the VP for review, also assisting with drafting correspondence and public documents. Through consumer complaints and ongoing technical monitoring, the Specialist focuses primarily on enforcing the self-regulatory data privacy principles associated with online interest-based advertising and secondarily on enforcing the self-regulatory principles associated with online political advertising.
Essential duties and responsibilities
The Specialist will support the self-regulatory efforts of the Accountability Program.
For the privacy self-regulatory portion of the program, common duties will be:
- Taking point on reviewing and responding to consumer complaints, escalating those that require complex policy and technical analysis
- Monitoring websites and mobile apps using direct observation and technical tools to assess compliance with the DAA Principles
- Participating in research and preparation of decisions, program reporting, presentations and other program communications, including drafting, proofing and publication of Accountability Program documents
- Participating as a member of Accountability Program team in discussions with companies under review, technical, legal, policy, and practical implementation aspects of discussions
- Assisting with educational outreach through generation and formatting of website content, written materials, and PowerPoint presentations
- Assisting with analysis and reporting of trends in type and quality of consumer complaints received
For the political advertising self-regulatory portion of the program, common duties may include:
- Monitoring websites and mobile apps—with particular focus on large, common platforms like social media networks—for the presence of political advertising
- Examining political ads for compliance with the disclosures required by DAA Principles
- Researching the entity responsible for a non-compliant ad and working with the VP and other Accountability Program staff to initiate compliance remediation
- With the VP, preparing public dispositional documents and/or reports explaining the origin of each case and the steps the entity took to bring its activities into compliance
- Conducting relevant research into political speech, campaign finance, online advertising, and internet technology when appropriate
- Variable based on other attributes – JD or computer science degree preferred
- Working knowledge of at least some of the following preferred: Business practices behind online advertising, ad technology(+), knowledge of self-regulatory standards(+), data privacy principles, basic statistical analysis methods, campaign finance law, political advertising law, administrative law, free expression law.
- Sufficient technical knowledge of how the internet functions required (basic networking, browser operation, some “power user” skills) to quickly learn how to conduct compliance monitoring in the online and mobile advertising industry
- Any of these experiences would be of great benefit: Working in privacy or political science/election-related organizations as well as academic work related to these subject matter areas. Prior work experience in the digital ad industry. Conducting digital advertising or social media efforts for a political campaign, conducting research or advocacy regarding campaign finance law or political speech.
Working conditions and physical requirements
Work is generally performed in an office environment and requires the following: the ability to operate a computer and other office equipment, including use of the telephone with a pleasant and clearly understandable phone voice; the ability to interact with computer databases; the ability to work on multiple tasks and handle potentially stressful situations; the ability to sit at a desk for one or more hours at a time; and the ability to lift or carry 10 pounds. These physical requirements are representative, though not necessarily inclusive; of those that must be met by an employee in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their essential job functions.
Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to hr@BBBNP.org with job title in the subject line.