Current openings are listed below. Click on the job title for more information and to apply.
Vice President – Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) - Location flexible
WHO WE ARE
We are a non-profit organization dedicated to fostering a more accountable and trustworthy marketplace. As the foremost thought leader on industry self-regulation, we are shaping the way that businesses and consumers interact with one another. We are the home to more than a dozen self-regulation programs that set high standards for businesses and provide third-party accountability and dispute resolution services that help ensure a fair marketplace for consumers. BBB National Programs has worked with industry leaders and government regulatory agencies since 1971 to establish the standards that guide best practices in advertising, privacy, children’s and teen’s marketing, consumer warranty issues, and dispute resolution.
Since its inception over 40 years ago, the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU), a division of BBB National Programs, helps companies comply with laws and guidelines that protect children from deceptive or inappropriate marketing and ensure that, in an online environment, children’s data is collected and handled responsibly. CARU, the nation’s first Safe Harbor Program under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), monitors child-targeted media to ensure that advertisements are truthful, accurate, appropriate, and in compliance with applicable guidelines, including COPPA. When advertising or data collection practices are inconsistent with applicable laws or guidelines, CARU seeks change through the voluntary cooperation of companies and, where relevant, enforcement action.
The Vice President, CARU serves as the primary leader and spokesperson for CARU. With budgetary responsibility, you will lead a seasoned team of legal professionals and manage program development, innovation, and growth.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Lead children’s advertising policy development, case selection, case review, drafting of case decisions, negotiations with companies participating in the self-regulatory process, and CARU supporter acquisition and retention.
- Oversee CARU’s COPPA Safe Harbor program including development of online privacy guidelines and best practices, acquisition and retention of members and pricing of services.
- Oversee annual CARU conference and other programming
- Maintain regular communication with CARU supporters including leading the planning and hosting of supporter council meetings
- Develop and maintain an academic advisory board with relevant expertise in children’s advertising, marketing, and online privacy issues
- Engage in effective coalition building
- Develop and maintain active liaison with relevant state and federal government agencies, non-governmental organizations, and international policy organizations. Participate in relevant hearings, workshops, and conferences, and prepare position and comment papers for presentation to these bodies.
- Lead professional team focusing on employee and program development and innovation.
- Work with other BBB National Programs leaders to develop and maintain productive relationships that create opportunities for collaboration.
- Review team-prepared written collateral including newsletters, activity reports, blogs, requests for information about case decisions, reports on various issues and consumer outreach.
- Take a senior role in the planning of thought leadership, conferences, and events.
- Collaborate with corporate departments on financial, marketing/communications, human resources, technology, and legal matters.
- Management, budget, and cost center responsibility.
- 10+ years’ experience and a Juris Doctor (JD) Degree
- Demonstrated interest and experience in issues relating to advertising and data privacy in the children’s space
- Foundational knowledge of privacy laws specific to the children’s space such as COPPA
- Strong familiarity with relevant privacy laws such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Entrepreneurial mindset, bringing curiosity, innovation, and networking skills to transcend growth targets
- Strong managerial and decision-making skills
- Management experience of remote staff and/or a geographically dispersed team
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills
- Demonstrated executive presence to inspire confidence, build coalitions, inspire others, and effectively engage with internal and external stakeholders
- Business and financial acumen
- Experience in public speaking
- Attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Growth mindset and adaptive to learn from experiences and adjust approach
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Strong relevant Office 365 skills and other similar skills
- Member of a bar of a relevant jurisdiction
Let us know if you have:
- Prior in-house counsel privacy or advertising counsel, Chief Privacy Officer, or similar work experience
- CIPP certification
- Experience at a major corporation, AMLAW 200 law firm, Big4 accounting, major consulting, or relevant government agency
Competitive SalariesBBB National Programs knows that recognition for a job well done goes a long way, so we offer competitive salaries.
Retirement PlansBBB National Programs helps employees progress not only professionally but also financially by offering a 401(k) plan.
Competitive BenefitsBBB National Programs offers medical, vision, and dental coverage. In addition, we offer flexible spending accounts and a variety of insurance options. Looking to stay fit? We offer a fully-equipped on-site gym.
More than a Job DescriptionBBB National Programs offers flextime, compressed work schedules, telecommuting, paid holidays, sick leave and a variety of other options that give our employees the balance they need to excel at their jobs.