Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council Recommends Kannaway Discontinue Certain Health-Related Product Performance Claims
703.247.9330 / email@example.com
McLean, VA – December 15, 2022 – The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) of BBB National Programs recommended that certain health-related product performance claims made on social media platforms by Kannaway, LLC salesforce members be discontinued.
DSSRC challenged these claims, shared in social media posts, as part of its ongoing independent monitoring of advertising and marketing claims in the direct selling industry. Kannaway is a direct selling company that sells CBD and wellness products directly to consumers.
The health-related product claims include, but are not limited to:
- “Treat pain, stress, inflammation, anxiety, PTSD, Parkinson, Diabetes, Crohn’s, Cancer & seizures just to name a few. All natural with no side effects.”
- “CBD! It’s good for complicated things like cancer, Parkinson’s. seizures, pain, depression, ADHD and anxiety and an image of eczema with copy stating “My coworkers eczema he used it on one arm to see if he would notice a difference to try and call my bluff on the Kannaway salve, as you see he notices a difference!”
- “Great for inflammation due to arthritis. Great for eczema and psoriasis”
- Translated from French “…ideal for people with #psoriasis, #gercures, #eczema on their hands”
- “Topical CBG. Shown great promise for treating dermatological and other skin conditions: Atopic Dermatitis; Eczema; Psoriasis”
- “A truly pure CBD salve is good for numerous benefits including instant pain relief, eczema, psoriasis, herpes, hair growth, folliculitis & dry skin just to name a few.”
- “I like to call it the MacGyver salve because it helps with so many different things such as eczema, psoriasis, burns, joint pain, sunburns, great moisturizer, massages, headaches, toothaches, etc.”
- “Kannaway CBD has been great for the arthritis in my hands and in my knees”
- “#non-invasive treatment #arthritis #jointpain #buritis #fibromyalgia #carpaltunnelsyndrome #migraine #plantarfasciitis #botox”
- “We all have different ailments from tendinitis to arthritis, diabetic neuropathy, menstrual cramps, shin splints, and carpal tunnel (the list goes on). Do you believe that it has helped ALL of us?”
- “As a Brand Ambassador for Kannaway, I can offer products to really help you with the following: sleep issues; anxiety; depression; fibromyalgia; epilepsy; arthritis; autism; chronic pain; nausea; and more…”
- Image of a closed fist with copy stating “This 80 year old lady could not close her hands due to arthritis. She rubbed Kannaway salve on her hands and 25 minutes later this is what her hand looked like”
- “Latest information on CBD and Arthritis. I can show you our triple lab testing and Certificate of Analysis. Kannaway is the Only CBD in the Physicians Desk Reference!”
- “A little bit of a personal story today. My dad - who is almost 80 - has been suffering from arthritis for a few years now. Last Christmas, I gave him the salve ( see below), which a CBD cream for joints and muscles, and the next day, he woke up with a big smile on his face. He feels less pain and does not need to rely on over the counter painkillers anymore. Big win!”
- “The Kannaway CBD Oral Applicator is a Nutraceutical in the US, but is prescribed in 11 countries for conditions such as Cancer, Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimers, Multiple Sclerosis, PTSD, Epilepsy, Pain Management.”
- “#anxiety #autism”
- “Do you suffer with acne? Eczema? Psoriasis? Need help? #eczema #psoriasis”
- “Make a order to day help with pain arthritis nausea”
- “I had a doctors appointment this past Friday…my Doctor as well as I was so excited to see my vials. I have been using several products to see if they would make a difference. I did feel the difference immediately in my movement and now I know it’s helping my: Arthritis, Cholesterol and Blood Pressure”
- “Headache, sleep issues, pain, anxiety, edges thin? This company is the only Pure CBD line of products in the physicians desk reference”
Kannaway did not provide substantiation for the challenged claims, so DSSRC requested that Kannaway immediately remove all social media posts indicating that its products are effective against the health-related conditions outlined in the challenged social posts.
DSSRC appreciated Kannaway’s participation in the self-regulatory process and was able to confirm that the one individual who is still associated with Kannaway has removed from circulation the social media posts for which they were responsible. Multiple posts, however, still remain accessible to the public because they were posted by individuals no longer associated with Kannaway.
While DSSRC appreciates Kannaway’s good faith efforts, DSSRC recommended that Kannaway continue efforts to have the remaining social media posts with the unsubstantiated health-related claims removed from social media, including by attempting to contact the individual in writing. If the social media platform where the post was made provides a mechanism for reporting trademark or copyright violations, Kannaway should use it to get the posts taken down.
Should DSSRC continue to identify social media posts that include claims such as the health-related claims outlined in this case, Kannaway will be subject to a compliance inquiry to evaluate the appropriate steps that have been taken to ensure that the claims are discontinued.
National Advertising Division Recommends Dyper Modify Biodegradable Claims for Dyper Brand Diapers
New York, NY – January 31, 2023 – In a challenge brought by Kimberly-Clark Corporation, the National Advertising Division (NAD) determined Dyper, Inc. supported claims that certain components of its bamboo viscose diapers are biodegradable but recommended the claim be qualified in certain ways.
T-Mobile Voluntarily Discontinues “Customer Loyalty 4x Higher than Xfinity” Claim Following National Advertising Division Challenge by Comcast
New York, NY – January 31, 2023 – Comcast originally filed a Fast-Track SWIFT challenge against competitor T-Mobile’s claim that it has “customer loyalty 4 x higher than Xfinity” made in a television commercial promoting T-Mobile’s Home Internet service. The National Advertising...
Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council Refers Perfectly Posh Earnings Claims to the FTC and Utah Attorney General for Possible Enforcement Action
National Advertising Division Finds Certain Claims for T-Mobile Home Internet Supported; T-Mobile Appeals Determination That Certain Claims Were Unsupported
New York, NY – January 23, 2023 – In a challenge brought by Comcast, the National Advertising Division (NAD) determined that T-Mobile’s advertising provided a reasonable basis for its price lock claim and concluded that other challenged claims did not convey false or misleading...