Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council Recommends Kannaway Discontinue Certain Health-Related Product Performance Claims
703.247.9330 / firstname.lastname@example.org
McLean, VA – December 15, 2022 – The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) of BBB National Programs recommended that certain health-related product performance claims made on social media platforms by Kannaway, LLC salesforce members be discontinued.
DSSRC challenged these claims, shared in social media posts, as part of its ongoing independent monitoring of advertising and marketing claims in the direct selling industry. Kannaway is a direct selling company that sells CBD and wellness products directly to consumers.
The health-related product claims include, but are not limited to:
- “Treat pain, stress, inflammation, anxiety, PTSD, Parkinson, Diabetes, Crohn’s, Cancer & seizures just to name a few. All natural with no side effects.”
- “CBD! It’s good for complicated things like cancer, Parkinson’s. seizures, pain, depression, ADHD and anxiety and an image of eczema with copy stating “My coworkers eczema he used it on one arm to see if he would notice a difference to try and call my bluff on the Kannaway salve, as you see he notices a difference!”
- “Great for inflammation due to arthritis. Great for eczema and psoriasis”
- Translated from French “…ideal for people with #psoriasis, #gercures, #eczema on their hands”
- “Topical CBG. Shown great promise for treating dermatological and other skin conditions: Atopic Dermatitis; Eczema; Psoriasis”
- “A truly pure CBD salve is good for numerous benefits including instant pain relief, eczema, psoriasis, herpes, hair growth, folliculitis & dry skin just to name a few.”
- “I like to call it the MacGyver salve because it helps with so many different things such as eczema, psoriasis, burns, joint pain, sunburns, great moisturizer, massages, headaches, toothaches, etc.”
- “Kannaway CBD has been great for the arthritis in my hands and in my knees”
- “#non-invasive treatment #arthritis #jointpain #buritis #fibromyalgia #carpaltunnelsyndrome #migraine #plantarfasciitis #botox”
- “We all have different ailments from tendinitis to arthritis, diabetic neuropathy, menstrual cramps, shin splints, and carpal tunnel (the list goes on). Do you believe that it has helped ALL of us?”
- “As a Brand Ambassador for Kannaway, I can offer products to really help you with the following: sleep issues; anxiety; depression; fibromyalgia; epilepsy; arthritis; autism; chronic pain; nausea; and more…”
- Image of a closed fist with copy stating “This 80 year old lady could not close her hands due to arthritis. She rubbed Kannaway salve on her hands and 25 minutes later this is what her hand looked like”
- “Latest information on CBD and Arthritis. I can show you our triple lab testing and Certificate of Analysis. Kannaway is the Only CBD in the Physicians Desk Reference!”
- “A little bit of a personal story today. My dad - who is almost 80 - has been suffering from arthritis for a few years now. Last Christmas, I gave him the salve ( see below), which a CBD cream for joints and muscles, and the next day, he woke up with a big smile on his face. He feels less pain and does not need to rely on over the counter painkillers anymore. Big win!”
- “The Kannaway CBD Oral Applicator is a Nutraceutical in the US, but is prescribed in 11 countries for conditions such as Cancer, Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimers, Multiple Sclerosis, PTSD, Epilepsy, Pain Management.”
- “#anxiety #autism”
- “Do you suffer with acne? Eczema? Psoriasis? Need help? #eczema #psoriasis”
- “Make a order to day help with pain arthritis nausea”
- “I had a doctors appointment this past Friday…my Doctor as well as I was so excited to see my vials. I have been using several products to see if they would make a difference. I did feel the difference immediately in my movement and now I know it’s helping my: Arthritis, Cholesterol and Blood Pressure”
- “Headache, sleep issues, pain, anxiety, edges thin? This company is the only Pure CBD line of products in the physicians desk reference”
Kannaway did not provide substantiation for the challenged claims, so DSSRC requested that Kannaway immediately remove all social media posts indicating that its products are effective against the health-related conditions outlined in the challenged social posts.
DSSRC appreciated Kannaway’s participation in the self-regulatory process and was able to confirm that the one individual who is still associated with Kannaway has removed from circulation the social media posts for which they were responsible. Multiple posts, however, still remain accessible to the public because they were posted by individuals no longer associated with Kannaway.
While DSSRC appreciates Kannaway’s good faith efforts, DSSRC recommended that Kannaway continue efforts to have the remaining social media posts with the unsubstantiated health-related claims removed from social media, including by attempting to contact the individual in writing. If the social media platform where the post was made provides a mechanism for reporting trademark or copyright violations, Kannaway should use it to get the posts taken down.
Should DSSRC continue to identify social media posts that include claims such as the health-related claims outlined in this case, Kannaway will be subject to a compliance inquiry to evaluate the appropriate steps that have been taken to ensure that the claims are discontinued.
All BBB National Programs case decision summaries can be found in the case decision library. For the full text of DSSRC decisions, visit the DSSRC Cases and Closures webpage.
National Advertising Division Finds Certain Consumer Cellular Wireless Service Plan Claims Supported; Recommends Others be Modified or Discontinued
New York, NY – June 8, 2023 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) determined that certain claims made by Consumer Cellular for its wireless service plans were supported. However, NAD recommended that Consumer Cellular modify or discontinue other claims.
Cargill Voluntarily Discontinues Certain Claims for Nutrena® NatureWise® Chicken Feeds Following National Advertising Division Challenge
New York, NY – June 7, 2023 – Following a National Advertising Division (NAD) challenge brought by competitor Purina, Cargill voluntarily discontinued certain comparative performance and superiority claims for its Nutrena® NatureWise® line of chicken feeds.
Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council Refers Wayal Health Product Performance Claims to the FTC for Possible Enforcement Action
McLean, VA – June 6, 2023 – The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) referred Wayal Health to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for possible enforcement action after it failed to respond to a DSSRC inquiry into aggressive health-related product performance claims made on social media by the company and...
National Advertising Review Board Recommends Modifications to T-Mobile Home Internet “Fast,” “High-Speed,” and “Reliable” Claims
New York, NY – May 25, 2023 – A panel of the National Advertising Review Board (NARB) found that T-Mobile‘s express claims for T-Mobile Home Internet (T-HINT) are supported, but recommended certain modifications to the claims so consumers understand the context in which they will receive internet service and the...