DSSRC Recommends Direct Selling Company LurraLife Discontinue Certain Earnings and Health-Related Product Claims
703.247.9330 / firstname.lastname@example.org
McLean, VA – November 4, 2020 – The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) of BBB National Programs challenged certain unsubstantiated earnings and health-related/wellness benefit product claims made by LurraLife, Inc., a multi-level direct selling company (Case #27-2020). In response to DSSRC’s request for substantiation of the challenged claims, which primarily appeared on social media, LurraLife removed the videos and ads in question and requested the same action be taken by its corporate brand partners.
The claims were challenged as a result of the DSSRC’s routine monitoring program.
- "You can earn up to a total of $20,000.00 weekly in 2-team pay. That’s a potential of over 1 million dollars a year in this one bonus alone."
- "Sponsor and help as many as you like and earn unlimited matching bonuses in our plan.”
- “Are you tired of living paycheck-to-paycheck and not having time to enjoy your life? You can live financially free, and we're here to show you how. You can start LurraLife in your spare time for less than $100 and earn enough money to have the option to quit your job in about 6 months. People just like you are making great money following our 100% proven system. Now it’s your turn! What are you waiting for? Take the first step and get started today. It’s really that easy.”
- “Are you tired of living paycheck and not having time to enjoy your life? You can live economically free, and we are here to show you how. You can start LurraLife in your spare time for less than $ 100 and earn enough money to have the option to leave your job in about 6 months. People like you are making a lot of money by following our 100% tested system. Now is your turn! What are you waiting for? Take the first step and start today. It is really so easy.”
- "Once you complete step #2 and find your first 4 business partners, you will already be in profit. What if by the end of your 2nd month you were making over $600 a month. and as your team completes these simple steps what if your income in month 6 was over $10,000.00/ Would that help you live better? Of course it would!"
- “Hey Now!! I’m ready to help 10 Moms learn how to make a realistic income of $800-$1000 in just one month and show you how to get paid an additional $500 to lose weight!! If you’re ready to start a home-based business with your copying and pasting while you get summer time fine, inbox me and I’ll send you info! #lotusdetox #fineaswine #makemoneyfromhome #moneyphone #getpaidwhileyousleep #myplanworks #entrepreneur #inboxme #trainyoumyself #letsrocktogether #nowomanleftbehind #bikiniseason”
- “Do You Need To Create More Income In Your Life To Do The Simple Things Like Go On Vacations, Buy New Clothes For Your Kids, Pay For Tuitions For Summer Camps??? Here’s How You Can Generate $1000 Quickly And Easily!!
- “Congratulations to Cody Lampp for losing 51 lbs on the LurraLife 90-Day Healthy Living Challenge. He won $500! Help us CONGRATULATE and CELEBRATE him by liking, commenting, and sharing this post.”
- In video description: “Introducing Dr. Miller de LurraLife detox tea. Our 100% organic and caffeine-free herbal base is the perfect start for any detoxification regimen. Lose 5 pounds in 5 days with this amazing tea! Thousands of people have done it, and you can do it too. Return the balance to your body and feel amazing again. Start today!”
- “Introducing LurraLife Thrive - our exclusive, proprietary stack of three very special nutrient blocks designed to help you beat insulin resistance, fuel your body's healing processes, and age proof your cardiovascular system.
- “Introducing Dr. Miller's Detox Tea from LurraLife. Our 100% organic, caffeine free herbal is the perfect kick start for any detox regimen. Lose 5 pounds in 5 days using this amazing tea! Thousands of people have done it, and you can too. Bring your body back into balance and feel amazing again. Get started today!”
- “All chronic pain, suffering, and diseases are caused by a lack of oxygen at the cell level. The best way to improve your health may be related to optimum oxygenation of your cells. Introducing O2 Drops from LurraLife. Our exclusive, patented formula for activated, stabilized, and bioavailable oxygen and minerals is going to revitalize your body and improve your health.”
LurraLife stated that it understood DSSRC’s concern regarding the claims at issue in this inquiry and responded by permanently discontinuing the challenged advertising and implementing additional safeguards to prevent its brand partners from making impermissible income and product claims moving forward.
At DSSRC’s recommendation, LurraLife:
- Requested brand partners remove unqualified earnings claims from circulation, and for those unresponsive brand partners that did not comply, LurraLife made a good faith effort to have their unsupported claims removed.
- Hired a compliance director to improve brand partner income claim compliance.
- Improved its Income Disclaimer to include an expected average earning amount and required brand partners to include the disclaimer on relevant social media posts.
- Requested brand partners remove unsupported product claims, and for those unresponsive brand partners that did not comply, LurraLife made a good faith effort to have their unsupported claims removed.
- Provided guidance to brand partners to disclose generally expected weight loss results prominently when any weight loss claim is made.
After assessing LurraLife’s compliance with its recommendations, DSSRC noticed that links to certain videos now state “Video Unavailable. This video is private.” While the videos are no longer available on the internet to a general audience of consumers, DSSRC cautioned that because these videos included claims that were unrepresentative and not appropriately qualified, these videos should not be disseminated to even a limited audience.
LurraLife committed to continue to educate, train, and monitor their brand partners, engaging them in LurraLife’s quest for more robust compliance. DSSRC appreciated LurraLife’s prompt response to this inquiry, as well as their willing participation in the self-regulatory process.
About BBB National Programs: BBB National Programs is where businesses turn to enhance consumer trust and consumers are heard. The non-profit organization creates a fairer playing field for businesses and a better experience for consumers through the development and delivery of effective third-party accountability and dispute resolution programs. Embracing its role as an independent organization since the restructuring of the Council of Better Business Bureaus in June 2019, BBB National Programs today oversees more than a dozen leading national industry self-regulation programs, and continues to evolve its work and grow its impact by providing business guidance and fostering best practices in arenas such as advertising, child-directed marketing, and privacy. To learn more, visit bbbprograms.org.
About the Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council: The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC), a division of BBB National Programs, provides independent, impartial monitoring, dispute resolution, and enforcement of false product claims and income representations made by direct selling companies and their salesforce members across digital platforms. The DSSRC seeks to establish high standards of integrity and business ethics for all direct selling companies in the marketplace.
Children’s Advertising Review Unit Determines that Visual Supply Company App Is Not “Directed Primarily or Secondarily to Children”
DSSRC Refers Health-Related Product and Earnings Claims for Gano Excel to FTC
McLean, VA – January 13, 2021 – The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) referred certain product performance and income claims made by Gano Excel USA to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for possible enforcement action after Gano Excel failed to provide substantiation for the claims.
NARB Refers Health-Related Claims for Theraworx Relief for Muscle and Joint Products to the FTC
New York, NY – January 12, 2021 – A panel of the National Advertising Review Board (NARB) has referred advertising claims made by Avadim Health, Inc. to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for review and possible enforcement action. The referral comes after the company declined to comply with a NARB recommendation to discontinue...
NAD Recommends Zarbee’s Inc. Qualify Use of the Term “Natural” in its Brand-Name for Some of its Dietary Supplement Products, and Modify Additional Claims
New York, NY – January 7, 2021 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) recommended that Zarbee’s qualify its use of the term “natural” in the Zarbee’s Naturals brand name when some or all the essential or key ingredients used in its products are...