DSSRC Recommends Direct Selling Company Magnetude Jewelry Modify and Discontinue Certain Earnings and Product Claims
703.247.9330 / email@example.com
McLean, VA – January 22, 2021 – The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC) of BBB National Programs opened an inquiry into several product claims made by Magnetude Jewelry, a multi-level direct selling company that sells bio-magnetic interchangeable jewelry to consumers, as well as a “replace your income” earnings claim.
The inquiry commenced through DSSRC’s ongoing independent monitoring of advertising and marketing claims in the direct selling industry. The claims that were the subject of the inquiry were disseminated on Magnetude’s website and the social media accounts of salesforce members and included, but were not limited to:
- “Whether you are looking to really go for it and replace your income, or you just want to work part time for some extra vacation money or pay some bills, you are welcome to join us!”
- “Improve your mood, your energy, your sleep, decrease PA in and protect yourself against harmful EMF’s.”
- “They all protected you from EMF’s and 5G and still all have at the healthy elements to boost your vitality on the back of them!”
- “We use the strongest healthy rare earth neodymium magnets (3000 gauss) to attach our ‘tudes’. These magnets help to protect us from EMF’s (electromagnetic frequencies) that are emitted all around us from cell phones, wifi, computers, cell towers, fluorescent lighting etc. In the modern world we can’t escape being subjected to these frequencies that pull at our own energy and effect our cells, but the neodymium magnets help to close off our own energetic frequencies so that we are not as susceptible to them.
- “Magnetude Jewelry also has embedded bio-energetic elements; far infrared (FIR), ‘negative ions’, and germanium powder to provide the latest technology for your health and vitality. Far Infrared Energy (FIR) is made up of waves of energy that are invisible to the naked eye that penetrate into the body and gently increase blood supply. The germanium balls emit far infrared rays that can stimulate enzyme activity and metabolism, which helps as an anti-oxidant fighting oxidative stresses that lead to many degenerative diseases. Wearing our necklace may help increase blood flow and carry more oxygen to your cells. Increasing ‘negative ions’ (the feel good ions) helps repel the bad ‘positive ions’ and increase serotonin to give you a sense of well-being. A body in complete balance has a better ability to heal itself."
Magnetude participated in the DSSRC process in good faith, immediately revising and then discontinuing the earnings claim in question, including one additional earnings claim that was identified during the inquiry.
Regarding Magnetude’s product claims, two of the product claims were immediately discontinued by Magnetude. Of most concern to DSSRC were the health-related claims, for which Magnetude provided DSSRC with volumes of research to substantiate. After reviewing the studies provided with a focus on the quality, reliability, and consumer relevance of the evidence, DSSRC recommended that Magnetude modify or discontinue claims that its products “help to protect us from EMF’s (electromagnetic frequencies) that are emitted all around us from cell phones, wifi, computers, cell towers, fluorescent lighting, etc.” and “help to close off our own energetic frequencies so that we are not susceptible to them.”
DSSRC determined that the research submitted in supported of Magnetude’s product claims may be promising, but also determined that the studies did not provide adequate substantiation for the express health-related product claims at issue in the inquiry.
DSSRC appreciated Magnetude’s active participation and cooperation in this process to evaluate and address all concerns raised in the inquiry. In Magnetude’s company statement it expressed “gratitude and appreciation for the great work [DSSRC] is doing for individual direct selling companies, as well as the entire direct selling industry.”
About BBB National Programs: BBB National Programs is where businesses turn to enhance consumer trust and consumers are heard. The non-profit organization creates a fairer playing field for businesses and a better experience for consumers through the development and delivery of effective third-party accountability and dispute resolution programs. Embracing its role as an independent organization since the restructuring of the Council of Better Business Bureaus in June 2019, BBB National Programs today oversees more than a dozen leading national industry self-regulation programs, and continues to evolve its work and grow its impact by providing business guidance and fostering best practices in arenas such as advertising, child-directed marketing, and privacy. To learn more, visit bbbprograms.org.
About the Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council: The Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC), a division of BBB National Programs, provides independent, impartial monitoring, dispute resolution, and enforcement of false product claims and income representations made by direct selling companies and their salesforce members across digital platforms. The DSSRC seeks to establish high standards of integrity and business ethics for all direct selling companies in the marketplace.
National Advertising Division Finds T-Mobile’s “Largest” 5G Network and Other Claims Supported; Recommends Certain Other Claims be Modified or Discontinued
New York, NY – October 20, 2021 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) determined that T-Mobile USA, Inc.’s claim to have the “largest” 5G network is substantiated and that its “5G speeds as fast as Wi-Fi” claim was supported in the context in which it was presented on the...
National Advertising Review Board Recommends Johnson & Johnson Discontinue “#1 Dermatologist Recommended Skincare Brand” Claim for Neutrogena
New York, NY – October 20, 2021 – A panel of the National Advertising Review Board (NARB) has recommended that Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. (JJCI) discontinue the claim that its Neutrogena brand is the “#1 Dermatologist Recommended Skincare Brand.”
National Advertising Division Finds Certain Verizon 5G Claims Supported; Recommends Modification or Discontinuation of Others
National Advertising Review Board Finds Certain AT&T Comparative Advertising Claims Supported; Recommends Discontinuation or Modification of Others
New York, NY – October 14, 2021 – The National Advertising Review Board (NARB) has determined that AT&T Services, Inc. properly supported certain comparative advertising claims for its fiber-optic internet service in one commercial and one internet video advertisement. However, it...