NAD Refers Advertising for Optimmuner Plus Dietary Supplement to FTC and the FDA for Further Review
Contact: Abby Hills, Director of Communications, BBB National Programs
703.247.9330 / firstname.lastname@example.org
New York, NY – October 1, 2020 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) of BBB National Programs has referred advertising claims made by Hypernaturals, LLC for its Optimmuner Plus dietary supplement to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for further review after the company failed to submit a substantive response and acknowledge NAD’s recommendations. NAD recommended that the company discontinue express health-related claims that Optimmuner Plus will, for example, “provide invaluable help to people suffering from terminal or autoimmune disease” and “boost the immune system, improving health in people suffering from allergies, common infections or terminal disease like cancer.”
The claims were challenged by the Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN).
The advertiser did not submit a substantive response, but instead disputed that it was making the challenged express claims while simultaneously arguing that such statements are “accepted facts by the scientific community.”
In the absence of any supporting evidence in the record, NAD recommended that the advertiser discontinue the challenged claims:
- “Optimmuner Plus provides invaluable help to people suffering from terminal or autoimmune disease. It is a great advance in immunotherapy supplements that boost the immune system, improving health in people suffering from allergies, common infections or terminal disease like cancer.”
- “It also balances the immune system response in autoimmune cases. The formula has been adjusted to produce a faster response for those cases in which time is crucial, and it is also recommended for those who want to prevent disease or infections. Fast and amazing results proven over the last 15 years, using 100% natural combination of vitamins, anti-oxidants and enzymes, with no contraindications with any treatment or prescribed medications.”
- “REVOLUTIONARY IMMUNOTHERAPY SUPPLEMENT: OPTIMMUNER PLUS is a revolutionary advance in immunotherapy supplements that boosts the immune system, improving the health of people suffering from allergies, common infections or terminal diseases like cancer, maintaining optimal T-cell and natural killer cell activity. It also balances the immune system response in autoimmune cases. It is used in several cases worldwide, and now available online to everyone.”
- “CLINICALLY & SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN: Research had shown that immunotherapy represents a Hope. ‘Nobel Prize for Medicine Goes to Cancer Immune Therapy Pioneers. Cancer immunotherapy is extremely effective for a substantial minority of patients, potentially adding years to their lives and even curing some people. The Nobel Committee said they are hopeful that combinations of these drugs and other therapies will allow more cancer patients to benefit with fewer side effects’ (Scientific American).”
- “REAL HOPE: Based on a long list of successful experiences with fast and amazing results proven over the last 15 years, our supplements achieve effective ways to use the body’s own immune system against antigen attack. No interaction with prescribed treatments and any medication. High rate of customer repurchase verified!!”
- “Radical improvements during the first weeks.”
Hypernaturals failed to submit an advertiser’s statement to indicate that it would comply with NAD’s recommendations or appeal the matter to the National Advertising Review Board. Pursuant to its procedures, NAD has referred the matter to the FTC and FDA for further review.
About BBB National Programs: BBB National Programs is where businesses turn to enhance consumer trust and consumers are heard. The non-profit organization creates a fairer playing field for businesses and a better experience for consumers through the development and delivery of effective third-party accountability and dispute resolution programs. Embracing its role as an independent organization since the restructuring of the Council of Better Business Bureaus in June 2019, BBB National Programs today oversees more than a dozen leading national industry self-regulation programs, and continues to evolve its work and grow its impact by providing business guidance and fostering best practices in arenas such as advertising, child-directed marketing, and privacy. To learn more, visit bbbprograms.org.
About the National Advertising Division: The National Advertising Division (NAD), a division of BBB National Programs, provides independent self-regulation and dispute resolution services, guiding the truthfulness of advertising across the U.S. NAD reviews national advertising in all media and its decisions set consistent standards for advertising truth and accuracy, delivering meaningful protection to consumers and leveling the playing field for business.
IV Drip Voluntarily Discontinues Social Media Posts for IV Hydration Therapy Following NAD Inquiry into Implied COVID-19 Messages
New York, NY – October 28, 2020 – Following an inquiry by the National Advertising Division (NAD), IV Drips Customized IV Hydration & Wellness (“IV Drips”) discontinued Instagram and Facebook social media posts which conveyed implied messages that its IV Hydration Therapy protects...
NAD Finds Certain doTERRA Phrases to be Puffery; Recommends Discontinuation of Challenged Essential Oils Health Benefit Claims; Advertiser to Appeal
New York, NY – October 27, 2020 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) determined that doTERRA International, LLC (doTERRA) did not provide a reasonable basis for claims that its doTERRA essential oils provide certain health benefits, including specific benefits for mood,...
NAD Finds France Media’s Readership Claims Supported; Recommends Modification of “Largest Commercial Real Estate Publisher” Claim
New York, NY – October 22, 2020 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) determined that France Media Inc. (FMI) provided a reasonable basis for certain readership claims for its Commercial Real Estate Publishing Platform, but recommended that FMI modify its claims that it is the “largest...
NARB Recommends Benefiber Discontinue “100% Natural” and “Clinically Proven” Claims, But Finds “Helps You Feel Fuller Longer” Claim Supported
New York, NY – October 22, 2020 – The National Advertising Review Board (NARB) recommended that GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare, LLC (GSK) discontinue “100% natural” and “clinically proven to curb cravings” claims for Benefiber, and determined that GSK...