National Advertising Division Refers Advertising Claims for CannaPure CBD Oil to Federal Trade Commission
For Immediate Release
Contact: Laura Brett, Vice President, NAD, 212.705.0109 / firstname.lastname@example.org
New York, NY – Feb. 21, 2020 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) has referred advertising claims made by a company D/B/A Grade A Nutraceuticals for its CannaPure CBD Oil dietary supplement to the Federal Trade Commission for further review, following a challenge by the Council for Responsible Nutrition. The advertiser did not respond to NAD’s requests to provide substantiation for its claims.
NAD is an investigative unit of the advertising industry’s system of self-regulation and is a division of the BBB National Programs’ self-regulatory and dispute resolution programs.
The claims at issue included:
- “CLINICALLY VALIDATED: Experience the medically proven therapeutic benefits of hemp.”
- “CannaPure CBD Oil helps with relieving all forms of chronic pain by inhibiting neural transmissions in pain pathways.”
- “CannaPure CBD Oil helps trigger anxiolytic action that improves mood patterns, reducing stress, anxiety, and even panic attacks.”
- “CBD has been known to clear brain fog, enhancing mental clarity and focus. It may also help improve memory recall.”
- “Studies have shown that Cannabidiol helps reduce blood sugar levels an also regulate cholesterol for a healthy heart.”
- “98% Reduction in Anxiety & Stress Related Ailments.”
- “67% Increase in Cognitive Performance & Health.”
- “Scientists are calling it ‘miracle medicine.’ A new breakthrough is helping people of all ages with a variety of ailments to completely reverse and treat serious medical conditions.”
- “Cannabinoid, or CBD, is a miracle product that people across the nation are using to alleviate various conditions, including chronic pain, anxiety, nausea, rheumatoid arthritis, Schizophrenia, diabetes, PTSD, alcoholism, strokes, and vascular diseases, and other ailments.”
- “Cannabinoid is found to have particular benefits in regard to neuroprotection, for example in limiting neurological damage following a stroke and trauma, or in treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.”
- “We also learned that most scientists agree that decreasing stress levels play a part in battling cancer, heart disease, and other stress related illness.”
- “Fighting cancer cells.”
- “Helps patients with diabetes.”
- “Increases brain function.”
- “Morgan Freeman – In an interview on a popular late-night television program, Freeman explains how a near-fatal car crash in 2008 left him with extensive nerve damage in his hand, and he also suffers from fibromyalgia. CannaPure CBD has been soothing chronic pain for years, and he has no intention of giving it up. ‘Without this stuff, I’d be in trouble…’ said Freeman. He also confirmed the use of a ‘harmless oil,” which can be bought online without a prescription called CannaPure, CBD, the special oil is helping him live a normal healthy life.”
In light of the advertiser’s failure to provide a substantive response to NAD’s request for substantiation for its claims or participate in any way in the self-regulatory process, NAD has referred the matter to the FTC for possible enforcement action.
About the National Advertising Division: National Advertising Division (NAD), a division of BBB National Programs, provides independent self-regulation overseeing the truthfulness of advertising across the U.S. NAD reviews national advertising in all media and its decisions set consistent standards for truth and accuracy.
About BBB National Programs: BBB National Programs fosters trust, innovation, and competition in the marketplace through the development and delivery of effective, third-party self-regulation, dispute resolution and other programs. BBB National Programs is the home of industry self-regulatory and dispute resolution programs that include the National Advertising Division (NAD), National Advertising Review Board (NARB), BBB EU Privacy Shield, BBB AUTO LINE, Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU), Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CFBAI), Children’s Confection Advertising Initiative (CCAI), Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC), Digital Advertising Accountability Program (Accountability Program), and the Coalition for Better Advertising Dispute Resolution Program (CBA DRM). The programs are designed to resolve business issues and advance shared objectives by responding to marketplace concerns to create a better customer experience. To learn more about industry self-regulation, please visit: BBBNP.org.