BBB National Programs National Advertising Division Inquiry of Tru NIAGEN Dietary Supplement Closes Without Review of Discontinued Product; Advertising Claims Permanently Discontinued
For Immediate Release
Contact: Laura Brett, Director, NAD
212.705.0109 / email@example.com
New York, NY – Jan. 9, 2020 – ChromaDex, Inc., the maker of Tru NIAGEN dietary supplement, has advised the National Advertising Division that the advertising claims at issue in a May 1, 2018 inquiry letter were permanently discontinued, and the 250 mg product then-advertised has not been marketed since late 2018, when a 300 mg product entered the market.
The National Advertising Division is an investigative unit of the advertising industry’s system of self-regulation and is a division of the BBB NP’s self-regulatory and dispute resolution programs.
As part of the National Advertising Division’s routine monitoring program, the National Advertising Division requested substantiation for the following claims:
- “NAD is as essential to our cells as food, water or oxygen, so higher NAD levels can help support better overall health as we age.”
- “Our cells need NAD to regulate circadian rhythm and increase energy production at the cellular level. Higher NAD levels can help our cells function at their best, so we can too.
- “While many factors contribute to aging, scientists believe one primary reason is the depletion of a key cellular resource called NAD.”
- “When NAD levels are low, our cells can’t produce the energy they need to maintain our health as we age. Tru NIAGEN® is a groundbreaking supplement that provides your cells with the vital nutrient they need to increase NAD levels. Our key ingredient, NIAGEN®, is a specific form of vitamin B3 proven to significantly increase NAD levels.”
- “Discover the nutrient that can change the way you age, straight from the scientists who uncovered it.”
- “Backed By Science – With more than 130 research partnership studies and a team of esteemed scientists, we’re committed to uncovering the full potential of NAD to enhance your cellular health.”
- Tru NIAGEN® is scientifically proven to slow down or reverse aging.
- Tru NIAGEN® regulates circadian rhythm and increases energy.
- Tru NIAGEN® membership terms are not disclosed (including how to cancel).
- “My memory and concentration are great. I even think the ‘difficult’ Sudoku puzzles are easy.” – Anne, 59, Louisville, Kentucky.
The advertiser informed the National Advertising Division that the product at issue was no longer marketed. The current dose of Tru NIAGEN (300 mg of NR) is 50 mg greater than the product referenced in this inquiry. The advertiser also permanently discontinued the challenged advertising claims for the product at issue in this proceeding.
Given that the 250 mg product is no longer being offered for sale, and in reliance on the advertiser’s representations that the claims for the product at issue have been permanently discontinued, the National Advertising Division did not review the claims on their merits. However, the voluntarily discontinued claims will be treated, for compliance purposes, as though the National Advertising Division recommended their discontinuance and the advertiser agreed to comply.
About the National Advertising Division: National Advertising Division (NAD), a division of BBB National Programs, provides independent self-regulation overseeing the truthfulness of advertising across the U.S. NAD reviews national advertising in all media and its decisions set consistent standards for truth and accuracy.
About BBB National Programs: BBB National Programs fosters trust, innovation, and competition in the marketplace through the development and delivery of cost-effective, third-party self-regulation, dispute resolution and other programs. The programs were formerly administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. BBB NP is the home of industry self-regulatory and dispute resolution programs that include the National Advertising Division (NAD), National Advertising Review Board (NARB), BBB EU Privacy Shield, BBB AUTO LINE, Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU), Children’s Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CFBAI), Children’s Confection Advertising Initiative (CCAI), Direct Selling Self-Regulatory Council (DSSRC), Digital Advertising Accountability Program (Accountability Program), and the Coalition for Better Advertising Dispute Resolution Program (CBA DRM). The programs are designed to resolve business issues and advance shared objectives by responding to marketplace concerns to create a better customer experience. To learn more about industry self-regulation, please visit: BBBNP.org.
BBB National Programs National Advertising Division Launches Expedited Fast-Track SWIFT Lane Designed to Address Misleading Advertising Disclosures
New York, NY – November 9, 2021 – Mindful of recent Federal Trade Commission (FTC) actions, BBB National Programs today announced a new, streamlined lane of the expedited Fast-Track SWIFT challenge submission process, one designed specifically to address the prominence and sufficiency of...
Media Advisory: FTC Commissioner Rebecca Slaughter to Keynote National Advertising Division “Future of Ad Law” 2021 Annual Conference
New York, NY – September 21, 2021 – In its 50th anniversary year, the National Advertising Division (NAD) of BBB National Programs will host the NAD 2021 Annual Conference virtually next week, running Wednesday, September 29 through Friday, October 1. Members of the media are invited to cover NAD 2021 with...
Children’s Advertising Review Unit Issues Revised Guidelines for Responsible Advertising to Children, Effective January 1, 2022
McLean, VA – July 29, 2021 – BBB National Programs’ Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) today announced the issuance of the revised CARU Advertising Guidelines, widely recognized industry standards to assure that advertising directed to children is not deceptive, unfair, or inappropriate for its intended...
U.S.-Based BBB National Programs Announced as Winner for “Best Sectoral Initiative” by International Council of Advertising Self-Regulation
On 15 June 2021, the International Council for Advertising Self-Regulation (ICAS) announced the winners of its second edition of the ICAS Global Awards. The objective of the ICAS Awards is to reward initiatives that contribute to responsible marketing practices and a more effective and impactful...