NAD Refers Leptitox Nutrition to FTC After Company Declines to Provide Substantiation for Dramatic Dietary Supplement Weight Loss Claims
Contact: Abby Hills, Director of Communications, BBB National Programs
703.247.9330 / email@example.com
New York, NY – October 1 , 2020 – The National Advertising Division (NAD) of BBB National Programs determined that Leptitox Nutrition, the maker of the dietary supplement “Leptitox,” a detox, appetite suppressant, and weight loss support product, failed to provide substantiation for its express weight loss advertising claims.
The claims at issue were challenged by the Council for Responsible Nutrition.
NAD requested substantiation for Leptitox’s dramatic express weight loss claims made in website and Instagram advertisements, including:
- “Here’s How I Saved My Wife’s Life with a . . . 5-Second ‘Hack’ That Kills Food Cravings and MELTS 62 lbs of Raw Fat”
- “Lose 62lbs of raw ugly fat from all over her belly, arms, face, hips and thighs . . . Going for [sic] this . . to this. . .” with a before and after image showing significant weight loss.
- “I was motivated to buy Lepitox capsules because of the huge number of good reviews all over the internet. I love this type of weight loss plan because you do not need to think about nutrition at all, just take a few capsules a day and job done! I have dropped from 78 kilograms to 58 and I continue to lose weight!”
- “Dropped 40lbs and sleeping better . . . I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am and took the plunge to test Lepitox. Just like your wife I had tried everything to lose weight and nothings at all! Almost immediately I was noticing how Lepitox [sic] was curbing my appetite and keeping me satisfied after a small amount of food. I sleep better and feel calmer.”
- “My daytime tiredness has gone! For years I was searching for the reason I was tried, sluggish and struggled with losing weight, and now it all makes sense. Just a few days after taking Lepitox my tiredness disappeared. I look and feel younger, and yes I’ve lost over 23 lbs so far, thank you Morgan!”
- “It was Sonya Rhodes and I who developed Leptitox. A breakthrough solution for the treatment of fat storage and belly fat with a natural and safe solution that addresses the root cause of weight gain, leptin resistance!”
NAD also sought supporting evidence for express claims made in Instagram posts featuring before and after images of dramatic weight loss with the following types of captions:
- “From 310 lbs to 183 lbs. she has made a great transformation to herself and her journey is amazing. She was 310lbs when started taking lapitox [sic] and got amazed when she see changes in her body within a month. You can also transform yourself from fat to fit. Get your Lepitox now by clicking link in bio.”
- “Worried too much about weight?? Now you don’t need to think about how to lose weight. Just take Lepitox and you can lose 25-35 lbs within a month without any workout … Get Lepitox with 70% off by clicking link in bio.”
- “This is one of the best transformation by having Lepitox pills. Getting fit is not hard when you take Lepitox. Start losing 7-10 lbs in week with eating your favorite food. Get your Lepitox now and 70% off by clicking link in bio.”
The advertiser failed to provide a substantive written response after repeated requests from NAD for substantiation. As a result, NAD has referred the matter to the attention of the appropriate government agency for possible enforcement action.
About BBB National Programs: BBB National Programs is where businesses turn to enhance consumer trust and consumers are heard. The non-profit organization creates a fairer playing field for businesses and a better experience for consumers through the development and delivery of effective third-party accountability and dispute resolution programs. Embracing its role as an independent organization since the restructuring of the Council of Better Business Bureaus in June 2019, BBB National Programs today oversees more than a dozen leading national industry self-regulation programs, and continues to evolve its work and grow its impact by providing business guidance and fostering best practices in arenas such as advertising, child-directed marketing, and privacy. To learn more, visit bbbprograms.org.
About the National Advertising Division: The National Advertising Division (NAD), a division of BBB National Programs, provides independent self-regulation and dispute resolution services, guiding the truthfulness of advertising across the U.S. NAD reviews national advertising in all media and its decisions set consistent standards for advertising truth and accuracy, delivering meaningful protection to consumers and leveling the playing field for business.
BBB National Programs National Advertising Division Launches Expedited Fast-Track SWIFT Lane Designed to Address Misleading Advertising Disclosures
New York, NY – November 9, 2021 – Mindful of recent Federal Trade Commission (FTC) actions, BBB National Programs today announced a new, streamlined lane of the expedited Fast-Track SWIFT challenge submission process, one designed specifically to address the prominence and sufficiency of...
Media Advisory: FTC Commissioner Rebecca Slaughter to Keynote National Advertising Division “Future of Ad Law” 2021 Annual Conference
New York, NY – September 21, 2021 – In its 50th anniversary year, the National Advertising Division (NAD) of BBB National Programs will host the NAD 2021 Annual Conference virtually next week, running Wednesday, September 29 through Friday, October 1. Members of the media are invited to cover NAD 2021 with...
Children’s Advertising Review Unit Issues Revised Guidelines for Responsible Advertising to Children, Effective January 1, 2022
McLean, VA – July 29, 2021 – BBB National Programs’ Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) today announced the issuance of the revised CARU Advertising Guidelines, widely recognized industry standards to assure that advertising directed to children is not deceptive, unfair, or inappropriate for its intended...
U.S.-Based BBB National Programs Announced as Winner for “Best Sectoral Initiative” by International Council of Advertising Self-Regulation
On 15 June 2021, the International Council for Advertising Self-Regulation (ICAS) announced the winners of its second edition of the ICAS Global Awards. The objective of the ICAS Awards is to reward initiatives that contribute to responsible marketing practices and a more effective and impactful...