BBB EU Privacy Shield: Compliance Assistance and Dispute Resolution
We help companies of all sizes comply with Privacy Shield requirements for transfers of personal data from the EU and Switzerland to the United States.
The Privacy Shield Frameworks are a mechanism for legally transferring personal data from the European Union (EU) and Switzerland to the United States. They are based on agreements first entered into between the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Commission in 2016, replacing the earlier Safe Harbor program. The Privacy Shield promotes greater transparency around international data processing and enables U.S. companies to demonstrate that their privacy practices meet EU and Swiss data protection requirements.
Fair and fast dispute resolution services.
U.S. businesses participating in Privacy Shield are required to select an independent dispute resolution service (known as an Independent Recourse Mechanism or IRM). This ensures that EU and/or Swiss individuals whose personal data the business transfers to the United States have someone to turn to if the business fails to uphold its Privacy Shield promises. We created BBB EU Privacy Shield to help businesses of all sizes meet this requirement through the delivery of speedy and seamless conciliation services with an arbitration backstop. In addition to dispute resolution, our expert staff provides compliance assistance for participating businesses during the process of self-certifying under Privacy Shield and ongoing assistance as annual re-certifications come due.
One step in your path to GDPR compliance.
Many businesses in the United States self-certify under Privacy Shield as part of their efforts to comply with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). GDPR requires that personal data can only be transferred from the EU to other countries if it receives “adequate” protections, similar to those provided by EU law. For U.S. businesses that collect the personal data of individuals in the EU, Privacy Shield is a mechanism for complying with the data transfer requirements of the GDPR.
U.S. businesses may receive and process personal data from the EU and Switzerland after self-certifying their adherence to the Privacy Shield Principles. Businesses that self-certify to Privacy Shield agree to abide by enhanced consumer privacy standards for EU and Swiss individuals. Your public self-certification to Privacy Shield with the U.S. Department of Commerce ensures that EU organizations and consumers know your business provides adequate privacy protection.
What sets BBB EU Privacy Shield apart?
Hands-on Compliance Assistance:
- Demonstrated expertise in U.S. and cross-border data privacy issues for more than two decades.
- Delivering practical assistance to businesses of all sizes in navigating Privacy Shield requirements, and hands-on support during the initial self-certification and recertification process.
- Ongoing monitoring of privacy disclosures and certifications throughout the year to make sure nothing slips between the cracks. We alert you to compliance issues before they become problems.
- Our frequently updated resources pages, blog, and participants-only newsletter, keep you informed about how to achieve data privacy compliance so you can focus on your business.
Trusted Complaint Handling:
- In the online business environment, addressing data protection concerns is both a legal obligation and a critical element of customer service.
- The most trusted name in consumer dispute resolution for more than 50 years, BBB offers EU and Swiss consumers an accessible online complaints system along with prompt and thorough handling of privacy inquiries and complaints, always free of charge to individuals.
- Are you committed to working through problems with your customers? Your commitment to privacy is a customer service differentiator, and you can partner with experts at BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD.
Inquiries | email@example.com
For program information visit https://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/
To file a complaint, go to https://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/file-a-complaint/
Follow us on LinkedIn | https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/bbb-eu-privacy-shield-eups-